Criminal lawyers are increasingly reliant upon digital forensics as a tool to help uncover facts in cases involving electronic evidence. Cell phones, computers, laptops and social media often hold crucial details which may assist you in understanding the facts in a criminal matter.
- Report / Materials Review – At the onset of a criminal matter involving digital evidence, we recommend that you retain a digital forensics expert for an initial consultation. This will help guide you through the discovery process and fully understand what digital evidence may be in issue and how it may impact your defense. We can review digital forensic reports, search warrants and other discovery materials to help attorneys understand the technical facts present in the case and to explain the technical details in plain English.
- Child Pornography – Our digital forensics experts have worked with private criminal defense attorneys as well as with the Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, and Federal Public Defenders offices throughout the country. Our knowledge and understanding of peer-to-peer software, including the BitTorent network, may prove vital to the defense. Our analysis can assist with determining what files may have been shared and downloaded, how the sharing programs were configured and what search terms may have been used.
- Internet History – This type of analysis includes examining the device’s browser/search history for evidence of interest. Frequently, deleted browser history can be located and recovered including search terms, websites visited and files accessed on the local computer system through file access records stored within the browser cache
- Location Data – It is possible to retrieve information to determine where a device was located during a certain period of time. Map and photo applications often store this type of data; however, the ability to recover location data varies by device and the application used.
- Deleted Content Recovery – When content is deleted from a device, it is possible to recover the data from the internal storage space or removable media. It is also possible to highlight deletion date and times, which can assist with claims of alleged evidence spoliation.
- Communications History – Incoming and outgoing communications on a device are often a hotspot for information crucial to criminal cases.. We possibly can recover deleted content from text messages, Apple iMessages and other popular chat applications such as SnapChat, WhatsApp, Telegram and others, including shared images or videos.
- Health Data – With many applications keeping track of daily fitness information, digital forensic examiners recognize the potential wealth of this information such as the number of steps taken, physical location and heart rate. This data may be useful evidence in a criminal proceeding.
- Expert Testimony – When selecting an expert witness, it is important to obtain someone who is a court-qualified witness and who is unshakeable on the stand and thorough in their preparation. Sensei’s examiners all hold digital forensics certifications and write comprehensive and well-documented forensic reports. We have been qualified as digital forensics experts in state, federal and military courts throughout the country.
By choosing Sensei as your digital forensics expert, you gain access to highly qualified examiners who remain up to date with the latest methodologies and software utilized in digital forensics investigations.
If you are interested in what Sensei’s Digital Forensics team has to offer in your specific case, please contact us at 703.359.0700 or email CEO/Director of Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics Michael Maschke at email@example.com.