Sharon and John have been committed to community service for many years. Sharon was a Girl Scout leader for 17 years, taking three troops all the way through high school graduation. She held a host of PTA positions, including President. John spent many, many years as a youth soccer coach.
After Sensei was founded in 1997, Sharon and John began to work together to rehab donated computers for economically-disadvantaged families. As time went on, they became very active in a Lab Rescue group.
Sharon has been dedicated to serving the profession of law.
After serving in many Virginia State Bar positions over many years, Sharon served as the 75th VSB President from June 2013 – June 2014.
She has served on the Fairfax Law Foundation (the philanthropic arm of the Fairfax Bar Association) since 2002 and is a Past President.
She served on the Fairfax Board Association Board for years, becoming the President of the FBA from 2005-2006.
She became Chair of the American Bar Association’s Professional Development Board in August 2015 and served as the former Chair of its Publishing Board.
For five years, John and Sharon were Court Appointed Special Advocates for Abused and Neglected Children, spending a lot of time with their children and writing reports for the court until the children were found to be safe and secure and their cases dismissed.
Sharon and John have offered financial support for many groups. Their financial support has included the following events and groups for many years.
- Fundraising Gala and Charity Golf Tournament hosted by Virginia Law Foundation, Legal Aid Justice Center, and Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
- Dwellus Charity Golf Tournament
- CASA Investors Circle 2010-present
- CASA’s Run for the Children
- Special Olympics
- Langley Residential Services Fundraiser for Intellectually Disabled Adults
- Neighbors Feeding Neighbors Tysons 5K
- Food for Others Charity Run
- As Fellows of the Fairfax Law Foundation, they make a generous annual contribution to the Foundation, which supports Pro Bono work and legal education programs for students.
- Jazz for Justice
- Fairfax Law Foundation’s Run for Justice
- Chipping In to End Domestic Violence Golf Tournament
- Trees Across Virginia
- DC Dream Center Golf Tournament
- Law Day “Weiner Roast” supporting Pro Bono services
- Virginia State Bar Diversity Conference
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia
- Friends of Homeless Animals
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Lamb Center for the poor and homeless
- Lawyers Helping Lawyers
- American Red Cross
- National Alliance of Mental Illness
- ABA Fund for Justice and Education
Questions? Need Help?
Please contact CEO Michael Maschke at email@example.com or at 703.359.0700.